The Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance (LACA) lobbies in the UK and Europe about copyright and related rights on behalf of its member organisations and UK users of copyright works through library, archive and information services.
Mission statement and key objectives
CILIP and the Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance (LACA) advocate a fair and balanced copyright framework which respects the rights of copyright holders whilst placing equal value on the importance of users' liberties.
In particular, LACA's aims are:
- To be active and effective in promoting, advocating and lobbying on behalf of our members.
- To raise and maintain awareness about copyright and licensing in the library, archive and information sectors.
- To work with colleagues internationally to bring about a harmonised legislative framework, effective for the digital age, that facilitates cross-border working.
- To collaborate with the UK's education and cultural heritage sector to encourage a joined-up approach.
LACA is a member of Copyright for Creativity, a broad-based initiative of European civil society, libraries, industry and creators that seeks an informed debate on how copyright can more effectively support innovation, access and creativity for all Europeans.
LACA collaborates closely with IFLA: the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions and EBLIDA: the European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations on copyright issues.
LACA's constitution was last revised in June 2014. A copy can be downloaded from this page.
LACA: the Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance
C/O CILIP 7 Ridgmount Street
London WC1E 7AE
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7255 0500
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7255 0501
Follow @UKLACA on Twitter
- Chair: Naomi Korn
- Vice-Chair: Barbara Stratton
- Secretary: Yvonne Morris
- CILIP staff contacts: Guy Daines, Yvonne Morris
- ARA: the Archives & Records Association: Tim Padfield
- ARLIS/UK & Ireland: Katie Hambrook
- The British and Irish Association of Law Librarians (BIALL) : Chris Holland
- The British Library: Ben White
- CILIP: Helen Bingham (health libraries); Jane Secker (academic libraries); Aude Charillon (public libraries)
- HearFirst UK: Ruth MacMullen
- IAML UK & Irleland: Claire Kidwell
- LIS-COPYSEEK online community: Emily Stannard
- Museum Libraries: Nancy Chillingworth
- The National Archives: Judy Nokes
- The National Library of Scotland: Fred Saunderson
- The National Library of Wales: Dafydd Tudur
- National Records of Scotland: Susan Corrigall
- The Scottish Council on Archives: Victoria Stobo
- Share the Vision: Christine Ronaldson
- SCL, the Society of Chief Librarians: Rob Froud
- SCONUL: Ann Rossiter; Neil Sprunt; Annette Moore
- Universities UK: Samuel Roseveare
- Wellcome Trust: Robert Kiley
- Library copyright experts: Paul Pedley; Barbara Stratton (International Spokesperson)
- Corresponding members: Toby Bainton; Graham Cornish; Graham Count; Mike Heaney; Tom Kearns; Janice McFarlane; Charles Oppenheim