This event has already taken place. View upcoming events
Just when you think you've worked out how Google works it all changes, not just a few commands but the whole way Google searches and displays results. Karen Blakeman tackles issues such as: extreme personalisation by Google – when and why, and how to curb it and Google's specialist tools and databases.
“Her knowledge is fantastic”
“Really good day… learned a lot”
Who should attend? This workshop is suitable for all levels of experience. The techniques and approaches covered can be applied to all subject areas.
CILIP’s Professional Knowledge and Skills Base (PKSB)
11. Customer focus, service design and marketing: 11.2 Communicating with stakeholders
12. IT and communication: 12.4 Social Media and Collaborative Tools
12. IT and communication: 12.5 Communication Skills
Just when you think you've worked out how Google works it all changes, not just a few commands but the whole way Google searches and displays results. Semantic search, artificial intelligence, extreme personalisation, and quick answers that save you the bother of having to read any further are just the beginning. Add a dash of EU legislation plus a few court cases restricting what information can be included in your results, and things can start to go horribly wrong. Understanding how the new Google works and the effect of legislation on search is essential to developing strategies that find reliable and authoritative information.
- How Google is using new technologies, major changes in the way Google works, mobile search and the impact on results
- The effect of regulatory changes and legal challenges on content
- Extreme personalisation by Google – when and why, and how to curb it
- How to focus your research with search options and advanced techniques
- Google's specialist tools and databases
- What we can expect from Google over the coming months
There will be time to experiment and try out the techniques for yourself and Karen will be on hand to help and advise you. Exercises are provided to help you test out the tools and search features, but you are free to explore and try out your own searches.
Karen Blakeman is an independent consultant providing organisations of all types with training and advice on how to search for and manage information more effectively. Prior to setting up her company RBA Information Services Karen worked as a microbiologist, then in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sector, and for the international management consultancy group Strategic Planning Associates. Karen’s website is at http://www.rba.co.uk/ and her blog can be found at http://www.rba.co.uk/wordpress/.