School librarians work in both state and independent schools. A school librarian might also be referred to as a learning resources or learning centre manager.
The school library or learning centre is where collections of books and journals are held along with access to the internet, audio-visual material and where students can enjoy self-directed learning.
The librarian will promote the use of the service as essential to the learning targets of the school. They will also participate fully in the life of the school through regular meetings with teaching and management staff.
Responsibilities include teaching information literacy skills, and encouraging and assessing reader development through activities like shadowing the Carnegie Medal for children’s and young people’s fiction. Sometimes they are responsible for the virtual learning environment.
- An accredited library and information qualification is usually required
Chartered Membership of CILIP (MCLIP) is advantageous in demonstrating an ongoing engagement with the profession.
- A teaching qualification might be beneficial
- An IT qualification might be beneficial
- Information retrieval skills
- Ability to teach information literacy skills
- High level of organisational skills
- Expertise in online searching, using the internet and a range of subscription services
- Ability to communicate effectively with all members of the school community
- Ability to work with young people and also deal with challenging behaviour and conflict management
- Excellent IT skills
- Self-motivated and able to work under own direction
- Proactive and imaginative in approach to provision and promotion of services
- Knowledge and love of children’s literature
- Awareness of school curriculum
- Awareness of current developments in library/resource centre management
Related books and publications from Facet Publishing
Facet publishing sell a range of titles for Library, Information and Knowledge professionals. These are all available at 20% discount to members.
- Court, Joy (ed) Read to succeed: strategies to engage children & young people in reading for pleasure (2011)
- Donnelly, Christinea Know it all, find it fast for youth librarians & teachers (2011)
- Herring, James E. Improving students’ web use & information literacy (2010)
- Markless, Sharon The innovative school librarian: thinking outside the box (2009)
- Owen, Tim Buckley Successful enquiry answering every time (2012)
- Rankin, Carolynn Library services for children & young people: challenges & opportunities in a digital age (2012)
- Shaper, Sue The CILIP guidelines for secondary school librarians (2014)
- Webb, Jo and Powis, Chris Teaching information skills (2014)