Friday, 12 October 2018
10:00am to 4:30pm
Map this event »
7 Ridgmount Street
London WC1E 7AE
« Go to Upcoming Event List
UKeiG CPD Course: Better social media for libraries: Twitter, blogs and Instagram
Friday, 12th October 2018 - 10:00am to 4:30pm
Social Media provides essential marketing, communications and networking opportunities in today’s digital workplace, but what can you do to elevate your library or information service to a higher level of stakeholder engagement? This course is vital if you want to transition your use of social media platforms to a more strategic, corporate level.
Who should attend?
All digital librarians, IT and information professionals who use Twitter, Instagram and/or blogs on behalf of their institution, and who want to explore beyond the basics of what these tools are and why to use them; focussing on how to use them more strategically, efficiently and effectively.
Previous delegate feedback
"Very useful. I will definitely use what I learned back at the workplace."
"Brilliant, informative course."
"Excellent, informative and relevant course."
"Excellent. Lots of practical tips. Looking forward to developing these ideas."
"Fantastic day, even with a good understanding of social media I learned a tonne."
"I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone who promotes and handles social media in libraries and higher education institutions."
"Brilliant. friendly, informative, collaborative."
Course outline and learning outcomes
This course is ideal if you are reaching a social media plateau and want to take your organisation’s use of social media to the next level. It is led by a social media consultant and trainer with an intimate understanding of how social media should be used in the workplace and addresses:
- Key social media platforms, how they work and how to use them effectively
- Building social media networks, increasing your following and increasing engagement
- Managing multiple social media platforms
- Measuring and analysing impact
Topics covered include:
- Twitter: when and what to tweet, lists and saved searches, multimedia and images, twitter video, logistics, analytics
- Blogging: major platforms, content, style, promotion, traditional WordPress/Blogger blogs versus Tumblr
- Instagram: why it’s important to library and information services, content types, picture tips, use of hashtags and location
- Integrating the three platforms effectively
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Use social media more strategically
- Understand and learn from statistics and analyticsManaging multiple social media platforms
- Make use of relevant social media tools and techniques to help your organisation increase engagement online
- Discern the different roles and areas of overlap between the various social media platforms
Booking and payment
If you require information about booking and payment please contact Gary Horrocks at firstname.lastname@example.org. Credit and debit cards are the preferred method of payment. Invoices are available on request.
Further information about course content is available from Ned Potter at: email@example.com
Ned Potter works as a trainer for organisations such as the Bodleian Libraries and British Library in the UK, and PiCS in Australia and New Zealand. He has written extensively about social media in libraries, including a marketing column in Library Journal, and his book The Library Marketing Toolkit was published by Face in 2012. He also works as an Academic Liaison Librarian at the Universiry of York. He can be found online at www.ned-potter.com and on Twitter at @ned_potter.
Cost (including lunch, refreshments and course documentation)
UKeiG/CILIP members £180 + VAT
Non-members £220 + VAT
Credit and debit cards are the preferred method of payment. Invoices are available on request.
CILIP Head Office
7 Ridgmount Street
London WC1E 7AE