Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
This event has been organised to coincide with the CILIP Library & Information History Group AGM, which will be held immediately prior to the tour at 2pm. This event is free to attend but booking is essential as space is limited.
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow is the only multi-disciplinary Royal College in the United Kingdom, with over 13,000 members from around the world, including physicians, surgeons, dentists, and specialists in travel medicine and podiatric medicine.
Founded in 1599 with the grant of a charter from King James VI of Scotland, the Faculty (as the College was formerly known) did not establish a library until 1698, when it obtained its first building in the Trongate area of the city. The heritage collections today include approximately 40,000 books, over 3,000 medical instruments, the records of the College, and over 120 other archive collections.
The rare books collection is particularly strong in 18th and 19th century texts on medicine, surgery and anatomy, but there is also a fine selection of earlier prints, including a number of incunabula. The College also holds a copy of Audubon’s double-elephant folio publication, The Birds of America, which is on permanent display in the reading room. The College moved to its current home – a terrace of magnificent 19th century buildings on St Vincent Street – in 1862, and many of the rooms retain their original features from that time.
Meet at the reception at 232-242 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5RJ
The College is within walking distance of Glasgow Central and Queen Street Stations and also Buchanan Street Subway Station. First Glasgow buses 2, 4, and 4A all have stops nearby. Limited on-street parking is available on Blythswood Street, Douglas Street and St Vincent Street. There is also a multi-storey Q-Park on Waterloo Street.