The LGBTQ+ Network was formed out of the need for a group to represent all UK LGBTQ+ Library Knowledge & Information workers, as there hasn’t been a formal organisation focused on this since around 2000. The Network, which is a CILIP supported group rather
than a Member Network, will create a community which can work with CILIP to include the specific development needs and the perspective of LGBTQ+ Library Knowledge & Information workers; and aims to provide guidance, support, and a safe space to share
knowledge and experiences for library, information and knowledge workers who identify as LGBTQ+. The LGBTQ+ Network, which will belong to its members, is free to join and open to all library, information and knowledge workers who identify as LGBTQ+,
both CILIP members and non-members.
The Network is currently managed by a Steering Group
, co-chaired by Binni Brynolf and John Vincent, but will be managed by a Committee once it is set up.
In summary, the Network is intended to:
- Provide members (and their organisations) with the skills and knowledge to develop supportive LGBTQ+ services
- Provide an authoritative voice on LGBTQ+ issues within the LKI community
- Provide a safe space where Network members can raise issues of LGBTQ+ discrimination in the workplace, and signpost them to appropriate useful resources
- Be able to support LGBTQ+ people within the LKI community being more open about their LGBTQ+ identity
- Collate and create relevant resources that can be used by all within the LKI community, such as supporting libraries as a safe space; challenging hate speech; best practice for events; current awareness; creating Q & A’s, best practice and “what to do when…”; collating compelling stories relevant to the Network; links to sympathetic publishers and bookshops; marketing resources for events
- Play a key role in CILIP's Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion work.
- Collaborate with similar organisations, including the BAME Network and other CILIP Diversity Networks once they are set up, and LGBTQ+ networks in other professions.
You will find full Terms of Reference for the Network, including its purpose, scope and goals, here.
There will be a call for LGBTQ+ Network members to stand for election to the Network’s Committee. It is anticipated that this will happen during August 2020.
"LGBTQ+ people have always been a vital part of the library, information and knowledge management community. I am delighted that the LGBTQ+ Network is able to harness the ambition, expertise and energy of LGBTQ+ professionals and workers to help shape a more dynamic and inclusive future for our profession." (Nick Poole, CEO of CILIP)
If you have any questions, comments, feedback or ideas feel free to contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re also on Twitter. Follow @ciliplgbtq.
We will also be running and attending events over the next few months. Please visit the events section of this group for announcements.
An allies group for non-LGBTQ+ library, knowledge and information workers who wish to support the purpose of the LGBTQ+ Network will also be created over the next few months.