The PMLG offered the following professional advice and support upon request:
- Advised a husband and wife creating a mobile library service in Africa, regarding suitable cladding, and shelving and provided contact details for mobile library coach building services for their project.
- Provided a public library perspective on proposed changes to Public Library Subsidy from the National Archives.
- Provided feedback and input on the Professional Value Toolkit sections relating to Public Sector.
- Assisted Medway Libraries in researching the use of public library book kiosks in the UK
- Encouraged members and public to lobby their MPs about their personal and their party's position on public libraries ahead of the General Election
- Provided expert advice on the following:
- selecting and managing graphic novels for younger readers
- Fees and charges: setting and exceptions
- Design of new mobile libraries
- Conducting and using Generic Social Outcome studies to demonstrate value
- Working with the homeless in public libraries
- Campaigning against cuts
- Choosing an LMS
- Staff Training
- Consulted Information Literacy Group on their response to Arts Council England Consultation
Launched the PMLG awards celebrating outstanding library staff
- Advised CILIP and SLIC on role of Scottish Libraries in the Access to Research initiative
Helped South African Government representative organise a visit to the UK to research adult literacy
PMLG helped select the papers for the IFLA Public Libraries Satellite 2014. (Also helped organise other aspects of the programme including Keynote Speakers, publicity and Mobile library participation.
Provided expert advice to CILIP Communications on how to handle a query regarding “offensive” graphic novels in public libraries
- Provided expert advise on driver requirements for mobile libraries
- Advised CILIPw representative on how to manage a radio interview
Chair made a video to promote the benefits of CILIP membership and activism as part of the Members Network Forum
Contributed to CILIP’s Digital by Desire Policy Statement (meeting & written)
- Consulted Canadian Library Authority on managing vehicle and fire safety aspects on mobile libraries
Supported Sheffield University PhD student in research on public libraries
Provided Dundee Library service with Mobile Library vehicle choice advice.