Join us at the Jubilee Library in Brighton for a day of discussion and debate for all library staff across the South East region. Discussion will focus on the Carnegie & Kate Greenaway regional shortlisted titles, with our guest speakers Ross Montgomery and Guy Parker-Rees adding another dimension.
This training day is aimed at all staff who would like to increase their knowledge and understanding of the best in current children's literature. They will gain skills in recognising the qualities that make good writing and illustration in children's books, increase their confidence in talking about literature and network with colleagues from across the South East region. They will also have the opportunity to vote for the South East region's nominations for the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway awards for 2018.
Highlight some of the best quality titles published for children & young people between 1st September 2016 – 31st August 2017;
Provoke discussion and debate about excellence in children’s & young people’s books;
Provide a platform for professional networking and sharing of best practice across public and school libraries in the southeast.
The criteria for the Carnegie and Greenaway shortlisted titles:
- Evans, Lissa Wed Wabbit
- Laird, Elizabeth Welcome to Nowhere
- Landman, Tanya Passing for White
- Sedgwick, Marcus Saint Death
- Thompson, Lisa The Goldfish Boy
- Wein, Elizabeth The Pearl Thief
- Davies, Nicola (ill. Cathy Fisher) The Pond
- Davies, Nicola (ill. Emily Sutton) Lots: the diversity of life on Earth
- Dowd, Siobhan (ill. Emma Shoard) The Pavee & the Buffer Girl
- Graham, Bob Home in the Rain
- Klassen, Jon We Found a Hat
- Manning, Mick (ill. Brita Granstrom) Books! Books! Books!
- Potter, Beatrix (ill. Quentin Blake) The Tale of Kitty-in-Boots
In order to get the most out of the day, it is hoped that delegates will read all the shortlisted books before attending.
Do you have questions about YLG South East Carnegie & Kate Greenaway Discussion Day? Contact CILIP YLG SE
Arrive for tea/coffee
Author Ross Montgomery
Morning break and book signing
Carnegie discussion groups
Lunch and book signing
Illustrator Guy Parker-Rees
Kate Greenaway discussion groups
This is a draft timetable and is subject to change.
There will be an opportunity to purchase books by our guest speakers and have these signed during the day.
Price per person £10.00 + VAT, lunch will be included.
Book your place online at: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DLLCHFV
Or email YLG-SE Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org, stating:
Number of places required
Names of each attendee
- Any special dietary requirements
- Contact details for invoicing
- Purchase order number (if applicable)
Invoices will be sent after the event