The new committee for the Knowledge & Information Management (K&IM) Special Interest Group (SIG) has kicked oﬀ 2018 with an intensive workshop where we examined what we think are the key areas and ideas we need to focus on in 2018 and beyond to deliver the most benefts to our current and our future members.
Since the K&IM group was created in January 2017 we have grown to 1,700 members, and we are currently CILIP’s second largest special interest group. We are delighted so many of you are interested in knowledge management and information management.
We want to deliver real and tangible benefts to those of you who have already joined us, but also reach out to others both within CILIP and the huge potential audience that sits outside of CILIP.
These are some of the topics and key focus areas we are thinking about. We would love to hear if you agree or if you think there is something critical we are missing.
Understanding our customers, potential customers, and our competitors
- We want to develop personas to understand our current and potential customers better so we can deliver what you really need
- Everyone has a limited budget and time, we want to understand which other organisations people are joining and why they represent better value for them and then see what we can do to get them to join us.
Getting recognition for KM and IM
- High on our agenda is working with CILIP on accreditation for knowledge management and information management courses, as well as certification for individuals to promote KM and IM skills acquisition
- We would like to improve the recognition from the wider community – bringing KM and IM to the attention of international, national and local inﬂuencers
- Helping our members get better recognition from their employers.
Becoming the “go to” experts for KM and IM
- Ensuring that our members can access expertise on KM and IM topics
- Enabling our members to develop and build on current or new expertise in KM and IM topics.
Developing relevant, trusted content
- We would like to develop content that is relevant to you at all diﬀerent stages of your career, and that helps you solve problems you are facing or helps you progress.
Creating a powerful network for our members
- With CILIP’s new social link platform we have the potential to build strong communities that can share knowledge and experiences
- We will be organising more events, both face-to-face and virtual, where you will also have the chance to develop your network
- It is important to us that we are the connection between you and CILIP and that we build an eﬀective two-way communication between CILIP and KM and IM practitioners.
Operating in a global world
- Many of our K&IM members are based outside the UK. Four of our K&IM committee members are also ased outside the UK. So we truly recognise that we are operating in a global environment
- We would like to forge global alliances as well as ensuring we always give an international perspective to our activities.
If you think we have missed something vital or just want to add your support to a particular area please do get in touch. Either email myself as the Chair or better still use CILIP’s new social link platform to start a conversation.
What is important to us is that we reﬂect our member interests fully.
We will be sending out an e-survey soon but in the meantime please let us know what you think using the SocialLink platform or via our twitter account @CILIPKIM.
And finally if you are not yet a member of the K&IM SIG, then please join us!
Don’t forget, as a member, you can join as many SIGs as you like – for free – by adding additional groups via your SocialLink profile.
Denise Carter, Chair K&IM SIG.